Download the assignment template and data file from this weeks resources and review the steps for this assignment. Once you have reviewed the steps, complete the problems and questions as presented. Show your work using your statistical program output. You may show manual/hand calculations only if the SPSS program cannot be accessed. There are two deliverables you must submit this week:
- SPSS output file or manual calculations: Submit the SPSS output file in PDF form, or you can scan your work and submit it as a low-resolution graphic.
- Word document: Submit a Word file answering the questions asked in the assignment. Describe the results in APA style incorporating relevant tables and figures formatted in APA style.
Length: SPSS output or manual calculations and 1 to 2-page Word document
The completed assignment should address all of the assignment requirements, exhibit evidence of concept knowledge, and demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the content presented in the course. The writing should integrate scholarly resources, reflect academic expectations and current APA standards, and adhere to Northcentral University’s Academic Integrity Policy.
Week 8 Assignment
Jason is interested in studying the effect of gender and social media usage on loneliness in college students. He obtained data from 30 men (10 men who had high social media usage and 10 men who had moderate social media usage and 10 who did not use social media much) and 30 women volunteers (10 women scored high on social media usage, 10 women moderately used the social media, and 10 scored low on social media usage) in their freshman year. Jason administered the Revised UCLA 20 item loneliness scale to measure subjective feelings of loneliness and social isolation to these 60 participants. A high score on the scale indicates higher feelings of loneliness. Participants rate each item on a scale from 1 (Never) to 4 (Often). There are two independent variables in the study (social media usage and gender) and one dependent variable, which is loneliness. The design for the study can be described as 3*2 ANOVA, number of levels of social media usage (low, moderate, high social media use) and number of levels of gender (males vs females).
1. Before opening the data, what would you hypothesize about this research study?
2. Conduct descriptive analyses (mean, Standard deviation) and report them here. What would you interpret based on the Mean values?
3. Conduct a Two-Way ANOVA. Report your statistical findings (including any applicable tables or figures in APA format).
a. Are there any significant main effects?
b. Is the interaction effect significant?
4. What would you conclude from this analysis? Is your hypothesis supported?
5. What would be your next steps, if this were your research project? What follow up tests will you conduct? What would the follow up tests indicate?
6. Create a boxplot to show the interaction effect between gender and social media usage on loneliness.
Submit the SPSS output file in a PDF to show the work you have done. Also submit a separate Word file describing the results in APA. Incorporate relevant table(s) and figure/graph(s) in the Word document formatted in APA style.